New Zealand Pacific Business Council
The NZ Pacific Business Council’s objective is to promote and facilitate two way trade between NZ and the 26 Pacific Island nations of Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia. Formed in March 2005, the NZPBC has developed associations with businesses in NZ and the Pacific Islands, as well as engaging with Government and NGO’s to improve trade and economic outcomes in the region
To facilitate growth of two-way trade and investment between NZ and the Pacific Island countries and territories.
Objectives of the Council
The objects for which the Council is established are:
- To promote friendship, goodwill and understanding between the business communities of New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories listed below;
- To maintain, support, promote and encourage two way trade, investment, technical and economic co-operation and tourism between New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories;
- To maintain, promote and extend industrial and commercial relations between individuals, firms, companies, corporations, institutions and associations of New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories;
- To carry out objective research studies on any matters affecting or concerning any of the above objects;
- To arrange for regular and effective consultation between business enterprises in New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories;
- To encourage and sponsor education, personnel exchange and training schemes at the private sector level between New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories, with the aim of mutually enhancing experience, education and capabilities;
- To maintain liaison with the governments of both New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories in order to promote any of the above objects and to ensure that the concerns, views and plans of the New Zealand and the Pacific Island countries and territories commercial sector are clearly conveyed to the Governments of all countries
- To co-operate with an appropriate responsible body established in one or more Pacific Island countries and territories and to arrange for regular and effective consultation, communication and meetings with it;
- To provide a forum for contacts and discussions of questions of common interest and information, advice and services;
- To seek to ensure the continuation of a stable relationship between all (listed in Ch 4) ; a relationship which understands the national heritage and aspirations of each country and a relationship which will draw together regional neighbours and trading partners in a growing bond of friendship;
- To encourage and maintain close co-operation between this business council and other like business councils operating in New Zealand and the Pacific region;
- To operate with other related organisations under a formal agreement where common goals and objectives exist and outcomes are agreed; and
- Generally to enter into, execute and carry out all contracts and agreements of any kind whatsoever and to do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to all or any of the above objects.
Except as herein before provided to apply the income and property of the Council solely towards the promotion of the objects of the Council.
Other than New Zealand, the countries and territories covered by the Council comprise:
Please click to view the current Fact Sheets
- American Samoa
- Cook Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia Republic of Marshall Islands
- French Polynesia (Tahiti)
- Solomon Islands
- Wallis & Futuna
and those further or other countries and territories as the Members so resolve in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.